| Basic equipment list|
The equipment listed here is essential equipment for any trail in Africa.
If you are carrying your own equipment remember the obvious - travel light!
On demand clothing
Day time clothing
- Good quality waterproof jacket
- Hely hanson or equivalent shirt with wicking fabric
Night time clothing
- Khaki, green and brown colored clothing.
- Shorts with pockets
- T-shirt or longsleeved cotton shirt with collar for sun sensitive types
- Slip slops or sandals
- Wide brimmed well ventilated hat with cord to secure.
- Swimming costume
- Polarised sun glasses with neck strap
- Kikoi or sarong (light cotton wrap)
- Warm jersey or fleece jacket
- Long sleeved cotton shirt
- Light cotton pants
- Warm or fleece pants
- Thermal vest
- Thick socks
- Comfortable shoes (trainers)
- Laminated map of trail route (scale of 1:50000 or better)
- Cellphone & List of emergency contact numbers.
- Lighter and Matches
- Head torch (Petzel tikka is ideal) and spare batteries
- Waterproof bag for night stuff
- 2litre Water bottle
- Warm sleeping bag (Africa can be cold!)
- First aid kit
- Mosquito repellant
- Small mirror
- Swiss army knife / leatherman or equivalent
- Toiletries including a full roll of toilet paper
- "Ziplock" freezer bags to waterproof small items
- Camera witha a good supply of film and batteries
- Lightweight binoculars/monocular